Yovo Doko are flour beignets from Benin. People eat them as a snack.
You could call them African “oliebollen”. No need to put some sugar on them, as they are already spiced up with nutmeg and vanilla powder!
(The ingredients in bold are available in the webshop.)
For 4 persons:
- 550 gram wheat flour
- 1 g bourbon vanilla powder
- 1 bag of dry yeast
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 150 à 200 gram granulated sugar
- half liter water
- oil for deep-frying
- Mix the flour with the sugar and yeast.
- Add salt, nutmeg, vanilla powder and water. Work the dough with your fingers and let it rest 5 mins at room temperature.
- Warm up the oil in a deep-frying pan. In the meantime, form some round balls with the dough.
- Place the balls in the warm deep-frying oil and cook them 5 à 10 mins, depending on their size.
- Let them cool down 5 mins and enjoy !
Why don’t you try music from Benin with this dish! For example: Africando feat. Gnonnas Pedro with the album Baloba !.