Fogne Sourtinaadi is being made with steamed fonio, it is a festive meal in Guinea. It gets often served during big family meetings.
(The ingredients in bold are available in the webshop.)
For 4 persons:
- 1 tsp 100% Peanut Paste
- 300 g fonio
- 1 can African aubergines
- 1 selim pepper
- 2 birds eye peppers
- 10 fresh okras
- 500 g minced meat
- 3 to 4 fresh tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1 bunch of chives
- 4 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 cassava (optional)
- 3 tsp butter
- Cut the parsley, 1 onion, and 2 garlic cloves in bits.
- Put all 3 ingredients in a small electric chopmill. Transfer the mix into a big bowl and add the minced meat.
- Crush the Birds Eye Peper in a mortar and add to the meat.
- In a little bit of luke water, put the Peanut Paste and dilute it, and pour it onto the meat. Give the mix a good stir, and shape little balls with your hand.
- In a pan with a little bit of oil, cook the meat balls until they become brown. Take them out the pan, and put them on kitchen paper for them to become dry. Keep for later.
- Cut the tomatoes, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove, and 1 bunch of chives in bits.
- In a saucepan with a bit of oil, pour the cut ingredients from point 6, and add a glass of water, salt and broken in 2 pieces Selim Pepper.
- Let cook 5 mins, and add the meat balls, let cook another 10 mins at low temperature.
- While it is cooking, peel and cut into bits the potatoes, carrots, cassava, aubergines, and add them all into the saucepan with a bit of water. Allow to cook 5 mins.
- Set the temperature low, and let simmer 20 mins. Stir regularly so that it does not stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Now we are going to make the Fonio. In a little saucepan, pour a bit of water until it boils, and place on top of the saucepan a strainer with Fonio in it. Allow to steam for 5 mins.
- Cut the okras in small bits, and pour them in boiling water (in another saucepan) for 5 mins. Throw the water away and put the boiled okras onto the fonio with a bit of butter together in a big bowl.
- Give it a good stir, and put it 2 mins in a microwave.
- Serve warm. Enjoy your meal !
Why don’t you try music from Guinea with Fogne Sourtinaadi ! For example: Azaya with the album Gnènèssouma.