In this recipe of fat rice from Ivory Coast, we are going to use dried okra powder. Another word for okra is gombo. Okras are originating from the Nile region.
(The ingredients in bold are available in the webshop.)
For 4 persons:
- 1 tbs dried powdered gombo
- 5 gram ground crayfish
- 1 can of African aubergines
- 5 g kororima
- 1 kg beef, cut
- 75 gram butter
- 2 onions, cut
- 4 carrots
- 2 tomatoes, cut
- 1 handful of sultanas
- 200g rice
- 2 laurel leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 handful of parsley, cut
- 1 fresh chili
- Wash the rice, and let it dry in a sieve.
- Let the butter melt in a pan and add the beef and a bit of salt.
- Add the cut onions, garlic and tomatoes to the meat and let it simmer during 10 mins.
- Peel and cut the carrots in slices and add them to the pan. Give it a good stir so that the vegetables absorb the meat’s gravy.
- On low heat, cook the vegetables for 10 mins.
- Add the ground crayfish, the cut parsley, the fresh chili, the laurel leaves, the kororima, the powdered gombo, and the rice.
- Turn up the heat, give it a good stir during 1 minute, and add the quantity of water needed to cook the rice.
- Turn down the heat again when the water begins to boil, and let the rice cook normally.
- Drain the African aubergines, and add them together with the sultanas in the pan. Cook further for another 3 mins.
- Serve the rice in a dish which is deep enough to allow it to keep its warmth.
Enjoy your meal !
Why don’t you try music from Ivory Coast with this Fat Rice ? For example: Petit Denis with the album Floco 1.