In this recipe for Carob and Sweet Potato Cake from Marocco we use the special, caramel-like taste of carob. Carob comes from the tree called locust-tree or simply carob tree, from the pea family. The carob tree grows in the region of the Mediterranean Sea, like the south of Europe, the north of Africa, and the middle-east. The carob comes from the pods of the tree. Carob has a sweet caramel-like taste that resembles cocoa, but is somewhat different. It is the combination of cacao and carob that we use in this recipe that makes it irresistable. Carob is rich in fibers and minerals, especially iron and calcium. It is also called garobe.
(The ingredients in bold are available in the webshop.)
For 4 persons:
- 4 eggs
- 3 sweet potatoes ( 550gr.)
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp bourbon vanilla powder
- 40 gr carob powder
- 130 g sugar
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 100 g dark chocolate 70% cacao
- Peel the sweet potatoes, cut them in pieces and cook them in boiling water ntil they are smooth.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180C.
- Drain the potatoes, dry them with some kitchen towels and put them and the eggs in a blender.
- Blend until you obtain a smooth and uniform mixture.
- Put the mixture in a bowl and add the carob powder, vanilla powder, sugar, and yeast.
- Mix until it makes small bubbles.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil au bain marie.
- Add the melted chocolate to the potato mixture stirring carefully.
- Put everything in a cake tin and bake at 180C during 45 minutes until the cake is cooked.
Why don’t you try music from Marocco with Carob and Sweet Potato Cake ! For example: Mahmoud Bassou with the album Alarme.